Page last updated on January 14, 2010
To download a copy of QRYTool/400 for a FREE TRIAL, select the software download link below.
This will transfer a zip file to your PC. You should also download the user's manual. Once
you have downloaded the software and manual, follow the instructions shown below.
We recommend that you print this page to have a hardcopy checklist for the installation
CLICK HERE for QRYTool/400 software download.
After downloading the software, download the user's guide. It is in Adobe Acrobat format. If
you do not have the Acrobat Reader, click on the icon below to get your free copy from Adobe:
QRYTool/400 User's Guide in Adobe Acrobat
To get your free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader,
Internet Install Instructions
Note: If you prefer installing the software from a hard CD, most CD burner software will
allow you to burn a CD from the downloaded ISO CD image file. If you want to take this route,
refer to the install instructions in the user's guide.
To install QRYTool/400 on your system from the Kisco_QRYTool_400.zip file you received via E-mail or
Website Download, please follow these exact instructions. Please note that these instructions
can be used whether you are installing QRYTool/400 for the very first time or if you are upgrading
an existing QRYTool/400 installation.
During the install processing, a document called "Additional Documentation Topics" will print.
This includes the latest system changes and documentation since the last time the user manual
- Sign on to your System i from a PC that is configured for iSeries Access. You must sign
on using the special IBM-supplied user profile QSECOFR. Make sure that your session is the only one
that is signed on as QSECOFR during this process.
- If you are upgrading an existing QRYTool/400 installation, make sure that you end all QRYTool/400
processes. Also, make sure that no QRYTool/400 menus are active with any display sessions.
- Run the following command to create an IFS folder to hold the CD image file:
- Run the following command to create a virtual optical device:
CRTDEVOPT DEVD(OPTVKISCO) RSRCNAME(*VRT) TYPE(632B)
- Run the following command to create an image catalog:
CRTIMGCLG IMGCLG(KISCOCAT) DIR(kiscocd)
- From your PC, create a folder on your desktop named TEMP and move the Kisco_QRYTool_400.zip
file into it, then unzip it to create the installation file named Kisco_QRYTool_400.iso.
- From your desktop, click on the iSeries Navigator. When it opens, all operations here
will take place on the right side of the display box. Click on the following sequence of items
Now drag and drop the file from the TEMP folder on your PC desktop into the right-hand box
of the iSeries Navigator display. This will transfer these files into the folder. (Note,
you do not need to transfer the zip file, just the iso file.)
- Your System i location
- File Systems (Note: if this does not appear, you will have to install additional iSeries Access
functions on your PC to complete this procedure.)
- Integrated File System
- Now go back to the command line and run the following command to load the file into the
Note: If you have installed other Kisco software or previous versions of QRYTool/400, you will need to
make sure that the current QRYTool/400 CD Image is the only one now active on your system. Use the WRKIMGCLG
command and check the Image Catalog named KISCOCAT to make sure there is only one entry posted.
- From the command line, run the following command to load the image catalog entry:
- From the command line, run the following command to ready the virtual optical device:
VRYCFG CFGOBJ(OPTVKISCO) CFGTYPE(*DEV) STATUS(*ON)
- From the command line, run the following command to load the image catalog:
LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(KISCOCAT) DEV(OPTVKISCO)
- From the command line, run the install process with the following command:
This will install the software on your system for your thirty day trial period.
- If you have just installed QRYTool/400 as an upgrade, go to the INSTALL menu in library KISQRY and run
option #3. Check the installation status shown at the center of the screen to make sure that it still shows
that the software is permanently installed. If you see any other status, contact Kisco Information Systems
as the software will not function correctly until this is corrected.
When you have completed your evaluation of QRYTool/400, you may purchase a permanent
installation copy by contacting us and arranging payment.
If you have just completed installing an upgrade of your already active license for
QRYTool/400, please contact Kisco and advise them that you have updated to a new
release level. Let us know
the specific version that you have just installed so we can keep our records current about
Return to QRYTool/400 Page